Tuesday, 17 August 2010

'.....arrr yer we can have a fun road trip, we can share the driving and have good conversations, quality time....yer Anthony driving to Switzerland will be loads a fun, lets do it!' - A conversation with Anthony a few months ago when we decided to go to Switzerland for my friends wedding.

Fast forward to Sunday the 8th of August. The car is packed to the ceiling with camping and baby gear.....we're barely off the m25 (the motorway that circles London), I reach for the pillow behind, grab one of Williams spare blankets and snuggle up against the window............hmmmmmmmm.
Anthony: 'right lets have a meaningful conversation then'.
I just laughed, didn't even open my eyes!

To be fair, although Anthony did all the driving, I was willing but he kept saying he was doing OK, plus we have this mutual understanding - I do night duty, he drives, fair deal -Especially since night duty is just a bit of teething every now and then. Also I'm sure Anthony's driving was safer...I know id forget and go the wrong way on a french round-about!

So off we went. Start point= London. End point= Lake Lemon (Geneva/Lousanne), Switzerland.




First stop. Ferry from Dover to Calais.

This was the first point of excitement for me...like that feeling at an airport. Well for me it was driving into Dover, seeing that castle above those white cliffs and then the port with all the ferry's! The ferry was a perfect way to brake up the journey as well as give William some play time. As we sailed away from those white cliffs, I gave my best Vera Lynn impression...

'There'll be blue birds over
The white cliffs of Dover,
Tomorrow, just you wait and see.

There'll be love and laughter
And peace ever after
Tomorrow, when the world is free.....'



A bit of nerd info on Cliffs:

The 100-metre high White Cliffs of Dover require no introduction. These icons of England have been the sign of home for travellers over the centuries, immortalised during the Second World War in Vera Lynn’s song ‘There’ll be Blue Birds over the White Cliffs of Dover’. Both Shakespeare and Wordsworth wrote about the cliffs, their beauty and their role in the nation’s identity.

Next Post..Dijon!

1 comment:

  1. Wow... that sounds exciting! I love reading all about you family adventures! I can't wait to see you! One month and I'm in England!

    -Jagger

    ReplyDelete